We are excited to share with you an update on our new direction for 2018, how we will be working with our existing and new partners and our priorities for funding this year.
We wanted to have the voice of the children at the very heart of our new direction, so we asked them to choose, based on the future they dream of. Here’s what they came up with:
Our new mission and strategy are aligned with the global Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) – a set of 17 “Global Goals” which describes the future all? nations want to see for the next generation. We have identified six focus areas (based on the SDGs) that we believe if achieved, would enable children we work with to truly realise their potential They lay the foundations for each child’s future
Why are we working worldwide?
As a result of your tireless support, countless children are moving off the streets into safety. This is an incredible achievement. However, new, insidious danger for the children we seek to help is on the increase:
- Globally the number of children trafficked, subject to commercial sexual exploitation and domestic servitude is on the increase;
- We are witnessing rises in refugee and displaced children, forced to flee violence and persecution;
- Gangs continue to lure children with promises of solidarity and a direct route out of poverty. Others are forced to join, threatened with violence or murder, coerced into committing crimes, murder or rape in the name of survival and often murdered themselves when they try to leave.
To provide the best response to the rise in this disturbing global trend, we need to build partnerships with reputable international organisations, with whom we can both share our experiences and learn from.
We are already supporting Casa Alianza Mexico with their refugee and migrants programme and La Alianza, working with trafficking survivors. We want to learn what really works and strengthen our support to our Latin American partners to continue doing fantastic work – and – share our expertise with the world.
What about the Casa Alianza’s?
We remain committed now, more than ever, to continue to support the work of Casa Alianza Mexico, Honduras and Nicaragua and La Alianza Guatemala, helping them to create meaningful partnerships that will provide the best possible care and support for children surviving in an increasingly complex and dangerous world. Any new partnerships we support outside Latin America will be from our fundraising efforts – not from our supporters.
We hope you agree that this is an exciting time for us and we look forward to sharing with you updates and news going forward! If you have any questions or comments about our new strategy, we would love to hear from you!
2018 Fundraising Priorities:
One of the most vital areas for funding this year is for the street outreach programmes. We cannot emphasise enough how important this first meeting with children who live on the streets is in order to build trust. This foundation of friendship and unconditional support in some of the most dangerous and violent areas of the city, is the first step on a long journey towards a child leaving the streets. In addition to the street outreach programme, we have committed to support the following programmes this year:
- The specialist unit for refugee and migrant Central American children who have fled violence and persecution and are seeking protection and essential residential services.
- The Family Reintegration programme – supporting children and family to be reunited where possible.
- Independent life and vocational training – supporting children as they transition to adulthood.
We are a small charity with one full time employee and five dedicated Trustees. We are doing all we can but we need support to continue to make an impact on the lives of disadvantaged children. So… we want to ask YOU…
How can YOU help us this year?
We urgently need help in the following areas:
- An experienced volunteer fundraiser – Someone to help us identify potential funders and help us write funding applications for our projects
- Individuals with corporate connections – Who could introduce our work and access potential sources of sponsorship
- Individuals with marketing/social media experience – Who can help raise our profile and increase supporter sign ups
- Individuals to recommend us to their schools or businesses – If we were your charity of the year, you could really help us to raise funds and awareness!
Our big ambition is to support innovative and creative projects to support the most at-risk children
We can only do this with your help!
If you have any fundraising ideas… If you can introduce us to anyone or any organisation who can support our work… If you have some spare time to help in the above areas… We would love to hear from you!
You can read our full newsletter below….